High School and Adult Learning

Do you want to finish High School as and Adult? Do you want to read and write better?

The Toronto District School Board can provide you with information that can assist you. Please check out our Education Section under resources for contact information based upon your region.

There are other options if you are looking into finishing high school or getting your credits, such as your GED equivalency test through the Independent learning centre, applying as a mature student, and attending alternative school programs which my be more supportive and allow you to work on your on pace.  Please check out our Education Section under resources for more information.

College and University

What about College OR University?

Do you want to get more education? Getting a good education is basic to getting a good job. Both Skills and diplomas can help you get the kind of work you want. If you don't have a high school diploma but want to go to college or university, COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY PREPARATION COURSES may be the way to go.

Every college and university puts out a "course calendar." These course calendars describe the different programs and how to apply. You can also go on-line to view a college or university's course calendar. Just "Google" the name of the college or university you want to look up. If you do not have access to a computer, your public library should have a computer you can use to go on the College or University website where you can get more information on applications and course description.

If you are in high school, the guidance counselor should be able to help you out too. If you do not meet admission requirements to get into the program of your choice, most colleges and universities offer COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY PREPARATION COURSES. These academic upgrading programs are a way that your prospective school can help you get your college level English, math, computer skills and sciences up to admission levels. These courses are generally free and require that you simply write an assessment so that a tailored program can be made for you.

Most schools have monthly intake for these courses and you can access information about these courses on the college or university websites by clicking on "academic upgrading". Some schools do require that you be over 19 to qualify for this program.

Scholarships and Bursaries

Ken Dryden Scholarship

Did you know that there is a scholarship for youth in and from care? It's called the Ken Dryden Scholarship. Ken Dryden helped start it – he's a cool guy and one of the greatest hockey goalies of all times! This scholarship gives cash to Canadian youth in care going to college or university.You are also eligible to receive this scholarship if you are a former youth in care. To find out more about it, you can contact: The National Youth in Care Network at 1-800-790-7074 or visit

Children's Aid Foundation

The Children's Aid Foundation funds a number of scholarships, bursaries and awards for students attending college or university. Students demonstrating both financial need and the potential to succeed in their program of study can apply for these awards.

To meet the eligibility criteria, a student must be:

  • A current Crown (permanent) Ward, or have been a Crown (permanent) Ward for at least one year after turning 13 years old
  • Under 26 years of age at the start of their current school program, or under 30 if the student has received CAF funding for the same program in previous years
  • Registered at an accredited post-secondary institution

For more information about these awards, including the amounts, deadlines, how to apply, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please visit

Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies

The OACAS has a number of awards for former youth in care, including the Clark awards and the RONA scholarships.

The Clark Bursary Award is available to youth in care and former wards pursuing post-secondary education. Students attending university will receive $4,500 per year for up to four years and students attending college will receive $3,000 per year for two years (or three years depending on program). Upon completion of their studies, Clark Bursary recipients are eligible to receive the Clark Graduation award — a monetary gift of $1,000.

The Clark Grants Award is a one-time grant of $1,000 offered to young people who are pursuing educational, employment or skills development programs and require financial assistance. The grant is available for tuition, equipment, tools or other requirements.

RONA Scholarship

The RONA Scholarship was created to assist youth in care and former youth in care realize their post-secondary educational goals.

Check out their website for more information

First Generation Bursaries

These are awards available to students whose parents didn't attend college or university. You can apply at your school's Financial Aid office. You can also find out about more scholarships from a web site called "Student Awards".

A lot of colleges and universities also have bursaries for their students. Visit your school's guidance department. They would be able to provide you with more information about scholarships or bursaries you can apply for through your college or university.

Student Grants and Loans

Even if you receive a scholarship or bursary, that probably won't cover all of your school expenses, and you may need to apply for a student loan through OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program). Visit the OSAP web site or visit the nearest registry office at a college or university. Just remember, if you accept a loan, you will have to pay it back one day.

Ontario Access Grants for Crown Wards

This is a grant provided by the Government of Ontario to Crown Wards. In order to receive this, you will need to apply for OSAP, but you will not need to repay this portion.

Education Support Booklet (CAST)

This booklet provides information and eligibility information about the education supports
available to children and youth involved with the Children's Aid Society of Toronto

The attached link offers information in the following areas:

Children & Youth in Care (IC)

Renewed Youth Support Program (RYS) 16-18 years

Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) 18-21

Alumni 21+